Re: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?

To: "Bert Almemo" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>, <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:22:24 -0600
> LOT more expensive: switches, variacs, fuses, fuseholders, plugs and
> sockets, etc.  There's a good reason why three phase is popular for loads
> over a few kW, especially if you start pricing good  plugs and receptacles
> to handle 10 kVA, (i.e. not stove/dryer plugs which are really designed to
> be plugged or unplugged a few dozen times, at most).

As someone mentioned earlier, re. some Harris power supplies, since the
ripple
 coming out of a three-phase rectifier stack is c. 1%, there is a tremendous
savings
in cost and components in the filter capacitor requirement. As found in most
commercial
amps, anywhere from "none" to 4mfd or so is all that is required. A single
oil capacitor
can replace all those stacks of electrolytics. A simpler, smaller,
cooler-running bleeder
resistor across the output is another benefit.

I am afraid we are stuck, at least for my life-time, with single-phase
residential service
here in the USA. It would cost the power providers billion$ to provide a
modern
system that would in turn produce only 75% of their former revenue when
installed.
Fat chance, IMO!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC