Re: [Amps] High efficiency broadband designs

To: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High efficiency broadband designs
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:49:31 -0800 (PST)
The Class-E AM folks are doing some interesting things
-- Tee the RF input -- one side to an added envelope
detector, output of this to PWM your power supply to
the ClassE amp module, other side of the tee to
through a VGA/limiter, then into the class-E final
section (phase is preserved, amplitude is constant
INTO the amplifier),  and you have the basics of an
EER system; (oh, don't forget the output filters) --
that's for SSB. For CW, well, just use class E.  With
the ebb of the high bands, the time may be right for
encouraging a bunch of experimentation with these
devices which are more suited (in versions published
to date) for frequencies below 14MHz. Looks like the
major class-E issue is tuning of the output network to
ZVS.

http://www.classeradio.com

Some of their circuits (paralleling the FETs for more
juice, etc.) remind me of some diagrams I've seen of
the early days of radio and doing this with some of
the new-fangled vacuum devices just available at that
time.

-Brian N9ADG
(caveat: While I have the parts gathered to experiment
with what I mentioned above, time hasn't allowed me to
do so yet. I would welcome comments from those that
have built some of this stuff. )