Re: [Amps] Big Solid State Power Amplifiers

To: <amps-bounces@contesting.com>,"Dr. William J. Schmidt, II" <bill@wjschmidt.com>," AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big Solid State Power Amplifiers
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:22:28 -0800
The 90% efficiency thing actually make some sense from
a weight standpoint if you consider amps intended for
DXpedition style operation. Of course this assumes that all
of the circuitry needed to linearize the amplifier can be made
to weigh much less than the transformer weight that its
replacing.

One of the operators from the C5Z multi-multi team showed me
his spreadsheet where he tabulated the weight of everything
he took (down to the toothbrush). Their air carrier - Ghana airlines
had a 2 bag x 70lb/bag/passenger weight limit. As it turns out
an Alpha 78 weighs just a hair under 70lbs :):)