Re: [Amps] Big Solid State Power Amplifiers

To: <gw4dgu@blaenffos.org>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big Solid State Power Amplifiers
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 04:34:03 -0800

>> It is a mistake to apply a commercial broadcast economic model to a ham
>> radio station.
>
>I don't disagree at all with this. The point I was trying - however
>ineptly - to make is that solid state technology requires a different
>approach to traditional tube design.

**  The main difference being that combiners are the norm with
solid-state due to the practical limit of a few hundred watts per module.
 Also, for the same number of watts of RF out, due to more waste heat
byproduct being available with solid-state,  one can heat a bigger
swimming pool than with an electron-tube/valve linear amplifier.