Re: [Amps] Really Big Solid State Power Amplifiers

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Really Big Solid State Power Amplifiers
From: Larry Kayser <kayser@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:08:52 -0500
Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Larry Kayser wrote:

For me, my concerns with solid state is to have an effective controller that will protect my investment. After some consideraton what I want is a G3SEK type box that will look after my dollar investment in solid state RF modules.

G3SEK is thinking quite seriously about that...

Ian:

The issue is as I see it has several facets, bad things that happen very fast, things that are not consistent on the load side, and longer term thermal things. I have a sense that a lot of bad things happen because the load has changed, some of the relay and antennas I see being used are design margnal. The hard part as I see it is the things that happen really fast. It is all over long before one even realizes there is a problem.....

The DECCA design of MOSFETS used a rather elegant fold back design that provided a continuous offloading if there was a load problem.

Is the time to start serous looking at big solid state amps start after we have a working protection system?

Larry
VA3LK

.