[Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:25:21 -0800
One of the newer Alpha amplifiers has an interesting circuit.  The rf choke
bypasses a tap to increase the range without resonances.  I expect that a
few amateurs have also incorporated this feature, using a switch position or
relay to add the bypass cap on certain band positions.

Noted, however, was a resistor from the open side of the capacitor to
ground.  It was rather curious at first until I realized that it was to
bleed the high voltage stored in this capacitor if it happens to be
disconnected while charged up.  Hopefully, all homebuilders who use the
swtiched rf choke bypassing scheme remember to add this feature.

This is an example of why it is a good idea to short out everything in the
high voltage section - even if the high voltage is disconnected and the
power turned off.

73,  Colin  K7FM

---