[Amps] SB-220 metering

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 metering
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:11:11 -0500
My old faithful SB-220 has been (and continues to be ) running just fine. Today, however, I noticed that the plate meter was sitting about 40 ma above the 0 line. It seems to be a mechanical change, because it sits there with the amplifier completely off. But here's the rub -- the resting current, which had read 120-130 ma, is now (with the meter readjusted to put the needle back on zero) only reading about 70 ma. At 110 watts from the exciter, grid current is ~135 ma and plate current 750 ma, showing about 1250 watts out in SSB position -- in other words, apparently healthy.

It seems unlikely that the diode string (I have the Harbach metering board which replaces the bias zener with a string of diodes) is having problems, so is it more likely that the metering has changed? Is there any connection with the change in the mechanical zeroing of the plate meter?

It occurs to me that a couple of years ago the multimeter stopped working in the relative power and HV positions -- it still works for grid current. Could the switch be progressively failing, since that's about the only component in common between the two metering functions, it appears? If so, does anyone know of a replacement switch with the proper indexing to match the panel?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm