Re: [Amps] SB-220 metering

To: Gudguyham@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 metering
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:02:53 -0500
Static on the plastic meter face?

73
Gary  K4FMX

Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 1/30/04 11:42:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, n4zr@contesting.com writes:

It occurs to me that a couple of years ago the multimeter stopped working in the relative power and HV positions -- it still works for grid current. Could the switch be progressively failing, since that's about the only component in common between the two metering functions, it appears? If so, does anyone know of a replacement switch with the proper indexing to match the panel?

Its not unlikely that the series meter multiplying resistors have gone bad (one opened) for the HV problem, and perhaps the sensing diode has gone in the rel output mode. It could be the switch, unlikely though. In any case, I have the complete HV metering resistors for sale for replacement and also have replacement meter switches if that's your problem. As far as the plate meter reading, it seems that you have a "rough spot" in the meter. This usually can be remedied but backing off slightly on the nut at the center of the meter. Hold screw in palce with jewlers screwdriver and loosen nut a tad. Blow on meter movement to see if it returns smoothly adjust nut and screw accordingly until meter runs freely. If you would like to purchase the replacement metering resistors or switch, please contact me off list. 73 Louie W1QJ W1QJ.COM