Re: [Amps] Using autotuner in place of input network

To: wrt@dslextreme.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using autotuner in place of input network
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:52:27 EST
In a message dated 2/12/04 01:34:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wrt@dslextreme.com writes:

> Many thanks to all who wrote.  There were several good reasons why this
> is not a good idea.
>
> Back to the drawing board.
>
> Tnx again,
>
> --
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Hi Bill, I once used an MFJ 16010 mini-tuner in front of my Swan Mark 1
amplifier as a tuned input.  When not in line the exciter (Yeasu FT-847) would
fold
back in power to about 50 watts.  I would then insert the MFJ tuner in line
and the radio would put full power into the amp and the amp made full output
power.  I could tune it on all bands using that little tuner.  Unfortunately I
did not read any replies here on the board as to why the tuner in the radio
would not work.  Some tuners would endlessly try to seek a "match" as the
impedance changed with the drive power, that could be a reason.  But I can
assure you
that the "fixed" MFJ tuner worked wonders in place of a tuned input network.
You might want to try something similar and see what happens.  73 Louie