RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Info on Mirage 6M 10/150 Amp?

To: "'R.Measures'" <r@somis.org>, k2xx@swva.net
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Info on Mirage 6M 10/150 Amp?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:19:08 -0800
        I surely agree with Rich's comments, below.  RF-activated T-R
switching, especially in amplifiers using two or three relatively slow
relays as the Mirage amps do, is very much not great.  However, at least
they do provide for variable drop-out delay (similar to VOX), and if you set
this long enough, you don't go through the relays' entire life cycles in a
couple of months as you would if the delay is set too fast.

        It should also be noted that a lot of these VHF amps have built-in
RX preamps using sensitive devices (MOSFETs, GaAsFETs) that can't take
transients worth a darn.  When using RF-actuated T-R switching, these
devices are far more likely to fail than if conventional
transmitter-controlled "hard keying" is used.

        Of course, a GaAsFET preamp on 50 MHz is kind of silly, anyway....

        -WB2WIK/6