Re: [Amps] 2 x 8877

To: "Ed Briggs" <edbriggs@optonline.net>, <TexasRF@aol.com>,<vk6apk@eon.net.au>, "AMPS" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2 x 8877
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:36:54 -0800

>As regards the source of this energy, I'd like to solicit the thoughts of
>others (including yourself). I'm not sure how much harmonic energy (ala
>Fourier) is present in the waveforms appearing at the anode. I've just never
>looked at the waveform, but given the conduction angle, there would be even
>and odd partials  in the series expansion and their relative magnitudes
>could be estimated from the coefficients, and these would be the source of
>the higher frequency energy. Not so?

**   True enough, Ed, , however, c. half of the voltage waveform at the
anode comes from the tank, so conduction angle is not the whole picture.

>Again, I've never looked into this, so I'm very happy to learn if I'm wrong,
>or to be pointed to a text for 'remedial reading'.

**  If dangerous radiation comes from the anode of a HF amplifier, I
would seemingly have been a SK years ago.

>(Regarding the lead vest, 20+ years ago another engineer and I were aligning
>a CRT according to the manufacturers alignment instructions and the very
>last instruction on the last page was "be sure to wear a lead apron while
>performing this alignment."   true story.)

**  With an accelerator potential of over 20kV, this is probably a good
idea.  I kind of like the lead apron thing to intimidate the competition.
 I heard of one Ham in Japan whose amplifier reportedly uses a tube
(8349) that generates X-rays because it uses an anode supply of 22kVDC .

cheers