[Amps] Winding plate inductors - No sweat

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Winding plate inductors - No sweat
From: RFlabnotes@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:35:04 EST
The venerable formula for a solenoidal inductor has been with us for over 60
years, and is really all you need. I have wound hundreds of coils based on
this formula and whenever I have taken the time to verify the result, it was
always within about 10%. You couldn't ask for much more.

The most convenient form of this formula is as follows. Make a copy of it and
hang it up in your shop. All units are in inches.

L(uh)=d * N(squared)/[18+40l/d]     d=diameter  l=length  N=#turns

The formula starts to lose accuracy when the coil becomes too fat or too
skinny, but is fine for average coils with l/d ratios of 2-10. It is relatively
independent of wire size because within the range of wires typically used, the
internal inductance of the wire is such a small fraction of the total
inductance that its variation with diameter doesn't mean much/

In the last amplifier I built, I used this for winding the coils for both
plate and input circuits, using inductance values based upon standard
calculations for Pi-L  and LC networks. When I fired the amp up, everything
tuned up
perfectly the first time.

73
Eric von Valtier K8LV