Re: [Amps] Transformer taps

To: garyschafer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer taps
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:09:25 -0800
Gary Schafer wrote:
I have a plate transformer that has taps at 2000, 2500 and 3000 with a common center tap. Obviously made for a full wave rectifier to supply 1000, 1250 or 1500 volts rectified.

I will use it with a full wave bridge.

Without answering your question about the taps :-), I would caution you that some older transformers that are designed to be used in full wave circuits are wound with the center tap closest to the core, and this part of the winding is not insulated as well as it might be since it is supposed to be grounded. I guess it would be best to check with a hi-pot if you have access to one, or at least keep in mind the possibility of a failure at this point.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco