Re: [Amps] SB-221 Why is the the variable load capacitor only crimpedto

To: jaking@es.co.nz
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-221 Why is the the variable load capacitor only crimpedto the HV circuit?
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:06:26 -0800
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:20:30 +1200, Jeff King wrote:

>Heres a question for the Heathkit experts or former designers.
>The Heath manual instructs that the connection of the variable load
>capacitor to the HV circuit should only be crimped, as a mechanical wire to
>wire connection.
>Why was this not soldered? Surely that would make a more reliable electrical
>path for such an important component?

I can think of two cases where a crimped connection is preferable to
soldered:  Where there is significant vibration (not likely in an
amplifier) or where there is significant heat.  Tank circuits,
especially when mis-tuned, can have very high circulating currents and
perhaps that's what the designer was trying to allow for.  I once had a
soldered connection in an 80 meter tank circuit melt and break loose
during "normal" operation, never mind a mis-tuned condition.

Just a guess; I have no personal knowledge of what the original
assumptions were.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW