[Amps] help with mosfet power amp

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] help with mosfet power amp
From: Dan Sawyer <dansawyer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:41:12 -0700
All,

I need help in learning how to handle and bring up a power mosfet amp. I have purchased a single stage power amp with 2 MRF154's. The amp has three inputs, power, RF in, and RF out. The power input is 50V. I want to be careful and not do anything foolish.

1. Can I simply apply 50V to the power input?? About what range should the input current be??

2. Is it better to start with 24V??

3. This amp is not broad band across 2 to 50 MHZ. How can the freq range be determined?

4. The amp is a 'simple' design and looks similar but is not a copy of the Mot. app note. Is it feasible to broad band such and amp? Is freq response primarily a function of the input and output transformers??

5. Most MOSFET power amps appear to have an LR feedback circuit from the drains to the gates. What is the purpose of this circuit??

Thanks,
Dan