RE: [Amps] Re: Reflector Text Only

To: <Dennis12Amplify@aol.com>, <wrt@dslextreme.com>,<Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Re: Reflector Text Only
From: "List Administrator" <amps@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 02:01:20 -0400

> When I was running AOL 7.0 I originally had it set to to
> send both text and HTML so I would be compatible with everyone,
> (same as when I was running Netscape), but I have since upgraded
> twice and am running AOL 9.0 now.

ONLY "text only" e-mail is truly compatible with everyone.  There
are may e-mail programs that cannot display HTML e-mail and may
even crash when receiving HTML e-mail.

>  I tried to check how my messages are being formatted in 9.0
> and can't find a setup option anywhere to send in any format
> but HTML. If someone can explain how I can send plain text to
> this reflector I will do my best to oblige Bill.

Your original message came from AOL as "multi-part" ... one
text part and one HTML part.  All contesting.com lists use
"Mime/Del" to strip off the HTML portion of the message as
well as any attachments.

Mime/Del provides two advantages ... first by eliminating
the HTML, the messages are significantly smaller and the
HTML adds no value to the message.  Secondly, by stripping
any attachments, viruses, worms, and other "nasties" are
prevented from forwarding via the contesting.com mail lists.

>  I have never sent the reflector anything BUT text, no
> embedded pictures or anything other than an occasional
> underlined word or phrase, albeit it probably was text
> in HTML format.

Underlined text, bold text, special fonts are all HTML
attributes and will be removed by Mime/Del.