Re: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:27:47 +0100
John T. M. Lyles wrote:

The problem that I have experienced with rebuilders is that they haven't been able to get the glass in sizes that used to be common, i.e., a blank in the size of a 3-1000Z diameter, from Germany (Shott?).
So they have attempted in some cases to re-seal a cut tube, using standard glass tooling/lathes, etc. The yield can be awful. I had a lopsided Machlett MIL LPT-44 triode made. Another one woudn't seal.

The basic problem is that cutting the tube apart destroys the very precise alignment between the anode and the grid/cathode cage.

And then it takes extraordinary skill to re-join large-diameter, thin-wall glass tubing without losing the whole thing. Glass cannot be welded like metal - the two melted faces have to be pushed together and then pulled apart again, while very gently blowing into the tube to prevent the glass from sinking inward. It all has to be done on the fly, with an amazing combination of boldness, delicacy and feel for the material.

(I used to watch it being done... you can probably tell.)

It's impossible to do all that necessary manipulation, and wind up with the top and bottom ends of the tube aligned just right. Therefore the tube will never have the same electrical characteristics as before.

The very best you can hope for will be like Nature's repair to a broken bone - never exactly the same as it was before.