Re: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 03:33:54 -0700

On Jun 6, 2004, at 10:33 AM, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

R. Measures wrote:
John was clearly talking about other problems where there *was* a need to cut the tube apart.

 It's probably easier to melt a hole than to cut the glass.

That's "metalwork thinking". Glass plays by different rules.

 I used to do some glassblowing when I was taking a chemistry class. To make a hole in a glass tube, apply a point flame to the spot where one needs a hole. When the spot is hot, blow or suck until the glass bubble pops. If needed, a glass extension tube can then be attached at the hole by heating and sticking the glass together,

Even cutting the base seal and re-attaching a pumping tube is very difficult, because it involves using open flames close to all the glass/metal seals.

 Open flames already were used to seal the pumping tube after evacuation.

The original production-line process had all the special tooling required (including shields to make sure the flame didn't touch the base pins) and it only involved one open-flame operation down there.

 Only one open flame operation is needed to make a hole in the glass and attach a glass tube for the carburization/pump-down operation.

Re-evacuating a glass tube involves three operations, and they're all riskier than anything done during manufacture.

 Pinching off a glass tube is fairly straightforward if the right amount of heat is applied. The vacuums in my 3-500Zs are still there, so it must be do-able, Ian - even if the sky does fall on occasion.

cheerz