Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:32:40 +0100
Will Matney wrote:

"I'd like to make a modest proposal here: how about not feeding a "dirty" supply to *either* of the grids?".......... Ian G3SEK

Ian, that's exactly the point I'm trying to get across.

Agreed, we're mostly dickering about different ways of saying the same thing.

The only other thing I mentioned was that voice modulation creates more IMD than does the two tone test, and by what I've read, we are all in agreement it does.

Again, agreed.

But taking up Peter's point, even a tone spacing as narrow as 30Hz don't come anywhere close to a realistic test for an amplifier that is supposed to be used with human voice modulation.

The nasty feature of real voice signals - ordinary spoken words - is that they also contain a *very* strong pulsing VLF component at a syllable/word rate of only a few Hz.

This VLF component drags down the power supply, and makes the amp very vulnerable to the large 300-3000Hz components that are often happening at the same time. No two-tone test can simulate this, and even three-tone or pulsed two-tone tests are only tinkering with the problem.

If you want to measure the SSB IMD performance, then the *only* truly valid test signal is... the human voice.

The question is, how to develop a reproducible voice test?

Well, a standard voice signal is very easy to generate, in these days of digital audio (I'll come back to the question of *whose* standard voice).

For a transceiver review, the reviewer would play this file into the MIC input, but otherwise would strictly follow the manufacturer's instructions about MIC/PROC settings, ALC readings etc. Then blast away into the analyser and see what you get.

The proposed test is based on ideas from GW4FRX, but it has been floating around for a long time.

The test uses a spectrum analyser in peak-hold mode. You play the standard voice signal continuously in a loop, set the scan width to maybe +/-20kHz, and let the peak IMD spectrum build up. Peak-hold mode is recording the *worst* that the transceiver produces, on any frequency within the scan width.

The analyser is only looking at one spot frequency at any given instant, but if you keep looping the audio file, and continue to scan, it will eventually catch everything. What you see is a spectrum that starts out looking very peaky, but gradually the gaps fill in to create a roughly triangular heap of IMD. When nothing new is being added to the spectrum, the test is complete.

This is surprisingly easy to do. Unlike a two-tone test, you don't need extremely slow scans and very narrow analyser bandwidths. I don't have a modern peak-holding analyser, but my old HP-141T storage tube display will grab the peaks just as well (just set the persistence to max).

One advantage of this test is that you're not limited to using a single person's voice for the standard signal. The same standard .wav file can include several different kinds of voices (for example, male and female, speaking in high-pitched languages and low-pitched languages). The only difference with a longer file is that you have to leave the file looping for longer. With digital audio and the Internet, exactly the same standard test file can be available all around the world.

Testing an amplifier is obviously more complicated than testing a stand-alone transceiver, because you have to account for IMD in the input signal. There seem to be several possible ways of doing this:
* Build a special driver with IMD so low that it can be completely ignored (a very tall order);
* Use a "good-enough" driver and display its input IMD spectrum underneath the amplifier output spectrum;
* Subtract the last two traces digitally, and display only the amplifier's added IMD;
* Subtract the last two signals by analog methods as suggested by Marv.

A formal test protocol would require some additional details, like specifying standard scan speeds and filter/video bandwidths, but that's the basic idea.

A peak IMD spectrum is a tough test, because it records the very worst that the transceiver or amplifier can do. On the other hand, it's also a *fair* test: that steaming heap of accumulated IMD is a pretty accurate picture of its effect on other band users!

The disadvantage of this test is that you don't get a single easy number out the end - but you do get a very good picture of the way the IMD spreads out across the band, which is a key feature that's missing from typical narrow 2-tone tests. Each test casts its own different light on transceiver/amplifier IMD performance, so I think they should always be used and published together.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek