Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 02:47:31 -0700

On Aug 2, 2004, at 2:03 AM, peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Is actual resonance what you want? The argument I've seen runs as follows;

In a choke input supply, there's a critical minimum value of inductance for
regulation. At low currents, this is very high, but if the choke is tuned
slightly HF of the ripple frequency, it looks like a very much bigger
inductance. At resonance, it will look like a resistor, of course. As the
load current increases, the critical value of inductance decreases, and the
choke will start to lose inductance anyway.

From this, the choke needs to be tuned a tad HF at minimum load. This
certainly ahs worked for me. Incidentally, by using negative lead
filtering, you can rectify the ripple across the choke for a low current
negative bias supply.....

I tend to go for negative lead filtering anyway to ease the choke
insulation requirements.

Peter -- In a typical, grounded-screen, AB1, grid-driven amplifier, the negative lead of the screen PS is 1000 to 1500 V above chassis/ground potential, and the positive lead is at ground potential.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org