Re: [Amps] Filtering capacitor in a HV PS: How low can you get awaywith?

To: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filtering capacitor in a HV PS: How low can you get awaywith?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:46:13 -0700

On Aug 16, 2004, at 11:12 PM, Angel Vilaseca wrote:

"R. Measures" wrote:

On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:12 AM, Angel Vilaseca wrote:

Hi,

I am building a 2500 V power supply for a one-KW transmitter. It will
use 2 4CX20Bs.

I have two oil-filled capacitors: 2.5 KV 40 uF and a 4 KV 25 uF.

I feel quite uncomfortable using the 40 uF 2.5 Kv one, because it would
work very close to its voltage limit.

On the other hand, the 4 KV 25 uF would be OK as far as voltage is
concerned, but would not 25 uF be too low?

Is there a rule of thumb ?

Angel -- Yes. For a FWB, the filter C Å 50k / the R-load. For a FWD,
each C Å 300k / R-load
cheerz

So assuming amp resistance at max output is 3Kohms, we have 16 uF for a
FWB and 100 uF for a FWD (?)

** Yes, however, 2, 100uF capacitors in series are needed for FWD- so the net C is 50uF.

I am not sure what FWB and FWD mean.

** FWB = full wave bridge rectifier, FWD = full wave (v)doubler.

Is it inductance input filter and
capacitor input filter?

** C-only.

Tnx fr your help