Re: [Amps] Filter-C

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filter-C
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:44:16 -0700

On Aug 18, 2004, at 12:15 AM, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

R. Measures wrote:
RE: Filter-C, how much is enough? A friend of mine built a 4-1000A/8166 g-g amplifier that ran c. 6500v on the anode from a FWB rectifier/C-filter. The only filter-C he had on hand that would handle this much V was a 2uF unit. To get the project going, he installed the 2uF C, but he left extra space on the chassis so that he could add more C when it became available - at the right price, of course. To initially check out the amplifier, he fired it up with the 2uF filter C. He fired up the amplifier on 80m. I could hear no ripple in the SSB signal.

It isn't likely that you would hear any 120Hz ripple on SSB, in among all the other voice-frequency components.

However, with 50Hz mains I might have noticed something.

Is this plausible? Hmmmmm. During a SSB voice transmission, indicated anode-I is roughly 1/3 of the max anode-I rating, so in this case, the average load would be 750mA / 3 = 250mA. Thus, the equivalent RL on the PS was 6500V / 0.25a = 26,000-ohms. The rule of thumb for the filter-C for a FWB is 70k / RL, or 70,000 / 26,000 = 2.7uF. This led me to conclude that this rule of thumb might be a bit conservative. Eventually, a 4uF unit was added to the 2uF, bringing the total to 6uF. No subsequent change in audio quality - or change the HV meter indication - was observed.

6500V @ 0.25A is an unusual combination of high voltage and low current, where you can get away with a very low filter C.

In Hamdom, 4-1000As running at this potential on SSB are quite common.

Running the numbers through 'PSU Designer' (and estimating the transformer voltage and winding resistances) it seems like 2u would give about 7% ripple at 120Hz. Increasing the capacitance by a factor of 3 will decrease the % ripple by the same factor.

As Angel has pointed out off-list, tetrodes are quite insensitive to anode voltage, so HV supply ripple tends not to get through to the RF output (remember how tetrodes needed to be plate *and* screen modulated?). That isn't true of triodes, so I'd guess that if Rich's friend had been using a triode-connected tube, Rich might just have been able to hear 7% of 120Hz ripple on a CW carrier.

It was triode-connected, g-g.

But that really was a far-out case with a very high value of RL. Almost any other amplifier is going to run at both lower voltage and higher current, so RL will be much lower. That means almost everybody is going to need *much* more filter C than Rich's friend did.

My current project is using 40uF at 9900WV, but that's a FWD. The original "plywood box" amplifier used only 15uF at 9000WV, and no one noticed any ripple. This time I decided to use more C because Matsushita's new line of 105ºC-rated electrolytics are so compact that I had more room to fill up -- i. e., it would have been just too embarrassing to have empty space.

Yer typical 8877 is operating at around 3kV and 0.8A peak, so RL is only 3750 ohms.

A typical 8877 draws c. 350mA average from the PS on voice-SSB - - even though the current peaks are c. 1000mA. In other words, PS RL for NØN (was AØ) is not the RL for SSB voice service

cheers, Ian

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org