RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Convert Heathkit SB-220 to 50Mhz

To: "'Manuel \"Teknik forumet\"'" <manuel@limmared.nu>,Amps@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Convert Heathkit SB-220 to 50Mhz
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:43:47 -0700
Manuel, is nobody answering you on this?

I don't know what conversions you've seen, but I've converted three SB-220s
to six meters over the years, and each the same way.  In all cases, I got
rid of the bandswitch entirely and used that hole to mount a 2-30pF vacuum
variable capacitor; got rid of the LOAD cap entirely and used the original
TUNE cap as the new 6m LOAD capacitor; re-wound the plate RFC with many
fewer turns (only need about 1/4 the original winding length for 6m);
eliminated the original bandswitched input networks and replaced them with a
single network for 6m only; added more front panel grounding (aluminum
bracket) for the new plate tune & load caps (the inductance via the front
panel is too high); replaced the original parasitic suppressors with new
ones having the carbon resistor soldered across 1/2-turn of copper 1/4" wide
strap; stuff like that.  The conversion takes about one full day (8 hours)
and works well.

With good tubes, I get about 900W output on six.  The original T-R relay
isn't the greatest on 50 MHz, and I often go to a conventional Dow-Key
dual-pole coaxial relay like the DK-260 to pick up about a dB or so in
performance (even on receive).  Of course, I add the "standby switch" mod
and also the "low voltage keying mod" to any SB-220 before I even get
started!

Are you familiar with this stuff?

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken
Olson, Chairman & Founder, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)