Re: [Amps] GBR and radiation exposure

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GBR and radiation exposure
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:30:20 -0700

On Aug 20, 2004, at 7:51 AM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

John Nelson wrote:

HF broadcast sites run a lot of ERP and the field strength at ground level
can be very high in certain areas. However, BBC transmitter engineers seem
to live long and happy lives. And yes, I know they're M*rl*n nowadays but I
can't bring myself to utter the name . . .

I worked at a BC station in the '60's, before this RF exposure nonsense. I had to climb a tower several times when the station was on the air, and as a result I became part of the 5 KW AM radiator...I also climbed past the 33KW ERP FM antenna, although I kept to the opposite side of the tower!

The only concession to my safety was to cut the carrier for a few seconds to allow me to climb on and off the tower.

Jumping on and off the tower with a trampoline should have worked without cutting the RF.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org