Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

To: "Frank Mayer" <domino@worldlynx.net>,"AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:28:30 -0400
"Oh well -- I guess I'll keep on using AM at 9 kHz of bandwidth all the time
istead of the 4 to 6
 kHz that I would normally have been running on SSB.  Be careful what you
ask for."

Well put.  The AM guys will not like the proposal, because 9 kHz of DSB-AM
is in effect limiting the audio to 4.5 kHz - for practical filtering
purposes, it will need to be limited to near 4 kHz unless DSP filters are
used - absolute sacrilege among the vintage-gear AM ops.  The vast majority
of AMers are using audio far in excess of this.

By contrast, the Hi-Fi SSB crowd limits their audio AND bandwidth to ~ 6
kHz.  I've never understood how operating Hi-Fi SSB can be considered rude
and thoughtless and yet simply because of "history," everyone is fine with a
mode with redundant sidebands and a carrier (DSB-AM).  I'm all for AM, but
the bandwidth argument against Hi-Fi SSB does not pass muster when compared
with AM.

As long as sub-bands are contemplated, perhaps some of the bands should be
sliced and diced to incorporate both Hi-Fi SSB and AM as well.  With a bit
of planning, there's enough space for everyone's interests.  The ARRL has
already received my comments.

-Paul