Re: [Amps] A 3-500Z question...

To: "Kim Elmore" <Kim.Elmore@noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A 3-500Z question...
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:32:40 -0700

On Sep 1, 2004, at 1:52 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:

While idly thinking the other day, I began to wonder why no one builds grid-drive 3-500Z amps. I know the tube was designed for GG service, but that doesn't preclude grid-drive service.

For non-linear operation, a high-Mu triode may be grid driven. However, for linear operation with a grid driven triode, only a low Mu will do. The reason why can be seen by looking at the characteristic curves for a 3cx3000A1 and a 3CX3000A7.
-- note -- virtually zero grid current can be allowed to flow in grid driven linear service.

Eimac even specs grid-drive service on the data sheet. Is neutralization a big pain for them? Or, is the result not worth the effort given the variety of high-quality tetrodes available?

Without neutralization an 8171 or 8170 typically get squirrelly above 20MHz.

Kim Elmore, N5OP Kim Elmore, Ph.D. University of Oklahoma Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies "All of weather is divided into three parts: Yes, No, and Maybe. The greatest of these is Maybe" The original Latin appears to be garbled.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org