Re: [Amps] How do I determine Class

To: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How do I determine Class
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:42:30 -0700

On Sep 2, 2004, at 9:07 AM, Will Matney wrote:

Bill,
I was reading about this a while back. If I recall, the spacing between the screen grid and the anode in power tetrodes help control secondary emission reaching the screen from the anode. If you recall the innards of a power tetrodes, the screen and control grid are in precise alignment and are close together. But the anode is a good distance beyond the screen. In pentodes or beam tetrodes (most which still are called pentodes) of course, the suppressor grid or the beam plates keep the secondary emission from reaching the screen being at ground potential. I'm pretty sure I was reading this in either the Care and Feeding texts by Eimac, or in the RCA Transmitting Tube manual. One of the two spoke about this same thing.

This makes me wonder, why don't more if any amateur amps use power pentodes?

Compared to tetrodes, pentodes are more difficult to manufacture, which translates as more costly and their sockets are even more so. The largest pentode made is the 5cx3000A. It costs a bunch more than a 4cx10,000D, it puts out only c. half as much suds, and, more importantly, it does Not have handles.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org