Re: [Amps] How do I determine Class

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How do I determine Class
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:56:01 -0700

On Aug 31, 2004, at 8:32 PM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

Jim Isbell wrote:

On pages 202-205 of the 1956 "Radio Amateurs Handbook" (ARRL) there is an amplifier described called "Parallel Tetrodes in a High Power Amplifier" How do I, from that description and schematics etc., determine in what class the amplifier is operating? And what is a National MB-40-L? I assume its no longer available but also assume that it can be reproduced. This looks like just what I need for a linear to go with my Viking Ranger to add some boost to the signal when needed. AND still be contemporary period.

The class of operation is determined by the operating conditions (element voltages and drive). A pair of 4-250As, grid driven, with 3KV on the plate would require about -180v bias, 500v on the screen,

To take full advantage of the emissive ability of the 4-250A's cathode, c. 800v is required on the screen.

and...

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org