Re: [Amps] Transceivers

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transceivers
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:53:37 -0400
Peter,
This very technique was used by Yaesu in several tube transceivers I've found. It was shown in the book, "Understanding Radio" by the Untied States Armed Forces Institute, published in 1940 and 1951 by McGraw Hill. In the book, it mainly described using triodes in the circuit where Yaesu mainly used dual tubes having a triode and a pentode (6U8) as the receive mixer. The pentodes G1 was driven by the output of the oscillator. There were some military receivers using similar circuitry which I have the schematics here. This is the very information I am looking for. Thanks for the input.

Will Matney

peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Bill said:

>But if the local oscillator signal is strong enough to simply turn on and off the mixer tube it does become a very effective >frequency mixer. It then appears to be an analog mixer multiplying a signal with a square wave.

It does reduce the conversion gain, though. That's the big problem with switching mixers. The so called 'Gilbert cell' (which Barrie Gilbert doesn't claim as his - it was first patented by a guy from RCA as a 4 quadrant multiplier - Barrie's claim is that he was the first to suggest using it as a mixer, and even that's disputed) can be oeprated in lower gain as a switching mixer, and in higher gain as an analogue multiplier type mixer, with lower LO drive and worse IMD performance. It also is more susceptible to AM on the LO.

73

Peter G3RZP.