Re: [Amps] Transceivers

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transceivers
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:46:03 -0400
Bill,
Thanks for this, I sent you another e-mail privately.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Bill L. Fuqua wrote:

It does seem strange to think of using a nonlinear divice to create in a linear fashion a signal on a different frequency. But if the local oscillator signal is strong enough to simply turn on and off the mixer tube it does become a very effective frequency mixer. It then appears to be an analog mixer multiplying a signal with a square wave.

73
Bill wa4lav
PS. I can provide math to understand this better if you like.

-----Original Message----- From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com> To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com> Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 18:44:03 -0400 Subject: [Amps] Transceivers

This is a little off topic but its for research ultimately in amplifiers. How many older receivers or transceivers, preferably tube type had the mixer circuits grid driven by the oscillators? I know some did along with military receivers. What I'm needing is the manufacturers and models of some that did. This is research into IMD in the transceiver thus being transmitted to the amp, and or other signals coming into the grid on grid driven triodes, tetrodes and pentodes in PA circuits. If you can recall any models, please let me know. One good example of a transceiver was the Henry Tempo One. I have some older military receiver manuals here which did this. Most Drakes either mixed the signals using the cathode or using a pentagrid converter. The ones needed added both the incoming signal and the oscillator signal to the control grid of the mixer tube.

Will Matney

http://www.nod32.com