Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer

To: "lncarman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:04:33 -0700

On Sep 16, 2004, at 5:22 AM, lncarman wrote:

I've heard over the years of some amp builders floating the filament transformer. I was
told that you isolate the filament transformer from ground and add two chokes
in the primary side with bypassing. Since the primary side is 115V or 220V the
amperes demand would be much less on the primary side. Looks like any RF would
be suppressed greatly by the filament transformer and you wouldn't need a lot of
uH in the primary chokes to finish the job. Has anyone tried this???

--- It is common in commercial g-g applications, Larry. All filament xfmr windings are RF-bypassed to the core and the transformer is floated on a insulating sheet of ABS or G-10. A bifilar choke is placed in the primary of the transformer. After installation, the C from the core to gnd is measured and this amount is subtracted from the calculation(s) for C2 in the tuned-input(s). An additional choke is connected to the fil. secondary CT to provide the DC path for electrons going to the the cathode from the –HV. As I see it, filament currents of more than 30A are a candidate for this solution. Thus, a filament choke for a 3cx10,000A7/8160 (7.5v/99A) would typically be Much smaller than a filament choke for a pair of 3-500Zs (5v/30A). In this case, with 240v mains, the filament choke for the 8160 would only need to be wound with #22-ga, wire, while the choke for the 3-500Zs would need to be wound with #8 gauge wire.
- cheerz

Regards,
Larry N5BIP

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org