Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer

To: jsb@digistar.com
Subject: Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:01:17 -0700

On Sep 17, 2004, at 8:26 AM, jsb@digistar.com wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, R.Measures wrote:

the choke for the 3-500Zs would need to be wound with #8 gauge wire.

I have been reading with interest about the filament chokes for 3-500Z,
etc. In the photos I've seen of projects the filament choke appears to be
bare wires around the ferrite rod. Am I seeing this correctly?

Jason --- The Cu wire is insulated with a plastic coating. Modern electric-motor and transformer wire is insulated with silicone varnish. This insulation is so tough that is is usually burned off with a propane torch and the ash thereof is removed with steel-wool.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org