Re: [Amps] input matching question on the YC156?

To: DF3KV <df3kv@aol.com>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] input matching question on the YC156?
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:00:50 -0400
Peter,
Yes your correct. I mentioned doing this because I had success with it using 4CX250B's. But, when you get up into the big tubes, there's a lot of current with the anode voltage to deal with. If the control voltage was monitored through a safety circuit, and if it failed (went open) then a secondary negative voltage could be applied or a relay opened to prevent B+ or the cathode being connected. An error lamp would show this and the amp would be shut down until repaired. What works for one tube don't necessarily work for all. Most all this type of switching I've seen has always been in home brew amps. Most all commercial amps have been built one after the other, the same for years. I hate to say this but they look at it, if the amp blows due to no bias, it's our problem not theirs. Plus, anything that will run the cost up and come out of their pocket wont happen. I set down once and tried to think of every scenario I could for failures in amps. This was about #2 on the list. The first was having screen voltage applied before B+. That's another point, that if bias is missing in a tetrode, the screen can become toast quickly. So, screen voltage should never be applied before plate voltage or have screen voltage without the proper cutoff bias. You really think about it, in a triode without bias, thats like a big diode shorted across the B+ and in a tetrode, like a boosted diode. Just like turning a valve wide open in a high pressure hydraulic line. It gets hot pretty darn quick!

Will Matney