Re: [Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes

To: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:36:19 -0700

On Sep 21, 2004, at 1:23 AM, R.Measures wrote:

On Sep 21, 2004, at 12:30 AM, peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Rich's argument appears to me that because the current is the same in each
diode, and each diode goes into avalanche, the voltage distribution on any
one diode can't be such as to exceed the the reverse leakage current rating
of that diode.

- Only if the total PIV of the diode string exceeds the actual voltage encountered on the job
.
Now that leads to an interesting question: suppose you have
a 1 kV diode in series with a 200v diode, and that the capacitances are
equal.

- If the junction capacitance at 200v on one diode equals the junction C of another diode at 1000v, the die of the 200v diode must be much larger than that of the other diode.

Bzzzzzzzt. I should have said ... ... the die of the 1000v diode must be much larger.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org