Re: [Amps] Re: Equalizing resistors with HV diodes

To: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Equalizing resistors with HV diodes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:37:49 -0700

On Sep 21, 2004, at 9:36 AM, Dave Haupt wrote:

I've been watching the resistors and diodes thread
with some interest.

I see one point of misunderstanding, and that is about
reverse leakage current.  The more accurate term is
the reverse saturation current, and it is usually
assigned the mathematical symbol Is.  Most rectifier
diodes are not manufactured to very tight tolerances
on this specification.  Further, as pointed out, it is
temperature dependent.  It's not an unknown
dependence, it is predicted by fundamental diode
equations.  You will find them in any textbook on
solid state devices.    Is is critical; it is the
multiplier in front of the exponential expression for
forward curent also.

In the reverse-biased mode, a rectifier diode acts as
a constant current device.  If the external circuit
(the rest of the diode string) is not supplying enough
current, then the diode reverse voltage will be close
to zero.  If the external circuit is attempting to
supply more current than Is, then the diode terminal
voltage will rise to the avalanche potential.

Placing two or more constant-current devices in series
is the "dual" of placing two more more zero-impednace
voltage sources in parallel.  What happens if you
place a 1.5 volt battery and a 3 volt battery in
parallel?  You get huge currents.  What happens if you
place a 5uA and a 10uA current source in series?  Huge
voltages.

- My present high-pot tester is only capable of 9kV. I already have 5uA and 10uA diodes. How would I utilize them to get some huge voltages?

Therefore, if you place diodes in series, and the two
are mismatched in Is, it is not simply likely that one
of them will operate at avalanche - it is guaranteed.

Are you saying that there could be avalanche current in one diode and none in the other diode?

My employer makes lots of things, among those things are diodes. Our diodes are hot carrier, microwave switch, GaAs detector, PIN, switching, etc - no power diodes. However, in the past we have made power diodes. I brought this topic up to one of our diode designers. He responded at some small length, and ultimately said this: a diode should not be routinely operated at avalanche threshhold unless it was specifically designed for that operation. High voltage diodes, he advised, are designed with the expectation that the circuit designer will take steps to prevent the diode from reaching avalanche voltage. It is usually the case that Is at avalanche voltage will cause metal migration, which will substantially reduce the mean time between failures (MTBF).

Running the diode all the way to the avalanche
voltage, but limiting the current will almost never
cause an instant failure.

How does one limit current in the reverse direction without limiting current in the forward direction?

... ...

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org