Re: [Amps] Re: Equalizing resistors with HV diodes

To: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Equalizing resistors with HV diodes
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:46:44 +0100
Dave Haupt wrote:

My employer makes lots of things, among those things
are diodes. Our diodes are hot carrier, microwave
switch, GaAs detector, PIN, switching, etc - no power
diodes. However, in the past we have made power
diodes. I brought this topic up to one of our diode
designers. He responded at some small length, and
ultimately said this: a diode should not be routinely
operated at avalanche threshold unless it was
specifically designed for that operation. High
voltage diodes, he advised, are designed with the
expectation that the circuit designer will take steps
to prevent the diode from reaching avalanche voltage. It is usually the case that Is at avalanche voltage
will cause metal migration, which will substantially
reduce the mean time between failures (MTBF).

73,

Dave W8NF

I was thinking about this before you mentioned it, but I suspect it will be far less of an issue with high-voltage devices, than with small devices such as microwave diodes or high speed CPUs.

Whereas a few tens of nm metal migration might well be an issue in the latest Pentium IV CPUs, or microwave diodes, with their very fine structures, I doubt the same depth of metal migration will be an issue with high-voltage power diodes, which must have a much thicker layer of silicon to avoid breakdown in the first place.

Breakdown voltage is proportional to the thickness of the silicon, whereas (I suspect) the rate of metal migration would decrease exponentially with increasing thickness, since metal migration is a diffusion process.

So whilst a 1000V diode must have 10x the junction thickness of a 100 V diode, the rate of diffusion on the 1000V diode will be only Exp(-10)=0.0000453999 times as great (all other things being equal of course).

I'm probably making some gross oversimplifications there, but I think you get the point I'm driving at.

David Kirkby G8WRB