[Amps] About MPD and Richardson

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] About MPD and Richardson
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:13:30 -0400
After my last post about Richardson Electronics owning MPD, I did a little research. I hadn't looked into this since 1990 so I found that the employees bought the stock away from Richardson. Below is a direct quote from the MPD website. Thank goodness they don't have their fingers in MPD anymore. Notice that Richardson is mentioned as a "private investor".

Quote;

"MPD, Inc. traces its origin to 1899, with predecessor companies on the same site manufacturing electrical machinery, electric lamps and electron tubes.

General Electric's acquisition of the business in 1945 brought additional product lines, relocated from other U.S. cities. New technology was added to manufacture ceramic parts, metal-ceramic seal assemblies, planar tubes, vidicon tubes and microwave transmitters and receivers.

On January 1, 1987, General Electric sold the assets of the Owensboro business to private investors who renamed the company MPD, Inc. At the time of the sale, MPD, Inc.'s product offering was exclusively electronic components with 85% of total sales directed to military avionics. In 1988, to diversify into non-military product lines, MPD, Inc. acquired MPH Industries, Inc. and CMI, Inc. Lion Laboratories Limited, in Barry, Wales, was acquired in 1990. In 1996, MPD, Inc. established MPD (Singapore) PTE LTD to better serve the Asian marketplace.

After ten years of ownership by private investors, the management of MPD, Inc., led by Gary Braswell, established an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and purchased essentially all of the outstanding shares of MPD, Inc. stock. As a result, in 1997, MPD, Inc. became an ESOP company.

Today, the employee-owners of MPD, Inc. not only enjoy competitive pay and benefits, but also an opportunity to share in the company's financial success through the ESOP."

Will Matney