Re: [Amps] 3-500Z Recomendations

To: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z Recomendations
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:48:25 -0700

On Oct 2, 2004, at 10:18 AM, craxd wrote:

I,m gonna go out on a limb here but here goes. Richardson Electronics pulls the strings on the Eimac tubes now. They also own the brand names Cetron and Amperex. They private label for everyone else too. When you get a tube from either, you don't know where it's made at! Knowing how Richardson does business, they're all probably from one manufacturer in China. I know of one Chinese manufacturer now selling direct here in the US who told me they were private labeling the 3-500Z and would not tell me to whom! My guess was RF Parts or Richardson. I do know most everything you'll get under Cetron is either Russian or Chinese. Now, I hate to be hard on Richardson but I know for a fact who they are and how they operate.

As I understand it, Eddie Richardson was made an offer he could not refuse by the DoJ after the they discovered that he had convinced Eimac-Varian to sign an exclusive distributor deal that would help him monopolize the Tx tube business. The offer, pull in your horns or go to the slammer. My guess is that Eddie does not control Chinese tube sales - - - yet. It's called megalomania.

I used to buy 1000's of tubes through their "shady" branch years ago from a salesman named Bernie Guss. Bernie, told me everything that was going on and who was who in both the legal and illegal business. Richardson is the very reason you can not now buy a new receiving tube of any type hardly as they were who bought out the GE plant down in Owensburogh Kentucky. Myself and two others offered to buy out the tube machinery lines for two models of tubes and Richardson flat out refused to sell them. I asked the manager what would then happen to the equipment. He said," It'll be put up in mothballs with dust settling on it", if I recall correctly. This was done purely to raise the price on receiving tubes and the price doubled shortly after that. The GE plant is now named MPD and Richardson is the proud owner.

What burns me about this, it's nothing but a monopoly, and the US government is letting them by with it!

The current Administration is pro-business -- provided the business isn't openly advertising baby dolphin-rotissere backyard barbeques.

Just to put it bluntly, any name branded tube in the US, Richardson controls the pricing on. I cant say that Merit (RF Parts) buys from them but the tubes in big quantities has to come from somewhere.

My guess is that Merit is not in the waterbed with Eddie.

The only glass tube manufacturers that are left are in either Russia (Svetlana, Telsa), Yugoslavia (Phillips-EI) and China, with China being the prodomanent one. Chinas prodomanence is due to one thing, price!

Will Matney

The RF Parts/Taylor ZGs are excellent tubes. I've had mine nearly two years and they really take a beating!! I run mine mostly in AM in my Henry 3K-A and they just continue to pump out the power!! Still getting 2kW PEP from the Henry with ~100W drive...
Joe,
N3JI