Re: [Amps] Transformer shop update

To: kc4mne@bellsouth.net, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer shop update
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:31:29 -0400
Manuel,

It's very easy for me to compete using EI cored transformers, the C-core is another case. C-cores are expensive to buy one at a time. The only way you can come out is buy about three of the same size at a time. That's the reason Ameritron has that price due to ordering maybe 20-50 transformers at a time. One C core rated for about 1 KVA might run $140.00 each, but buying three might drop them to $60.00 each. This was what the Magnetic Metals rep told me about two weeks ago. The steel in these C-cores is Microsil which is the same as Hypersil. Either is just a CRGO silicon steel with 3.5% silicon.

On quantity orders for EI transformers, you can drop the price due to running the windings all at one time. Sometimes you can wind two or more coils at once on the same lathe. The steel gets cheaper on larger orders too. By agreement, my steel and copper prices are about the same that Dahl pays.

My major problem is being handicapped and handling heavy transformers. I can handle up to about a 3000 watt by myself. I'll be able to do larger as a custom, but won't unless I have to. Another thing is it takes me slightly longer to build one up than what it would if I was up and about so the labor goes up. The more I get into this, the costs will drop some by coming up with easier ways of doing things here.

The one that you mentioned costing $2500.00, what was the requirements, voltage and amperage? I can tell you pretty quick a rough quote for using EI cores. A C-core, I have to get quoted. What you wanted don't sound to me like a lot of transformer.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Manuel R. Alonso / KC4MNE wrote:

Hello,

I am excited to have a new player in the Ham transformer market. Can't wait
to see your pricing on plate transformers, and maybe even some plate
Modulation and audio iron. But  pricing is an issue. I see you comparing a
lot to Dahl, well You can buy a Dahl made transformer that Ameritron uses in
the 3cx1200, 3cx1500, and dual 3-500z amps from Ameritron for about $250.00.
(2560 V .8 A CCS)The price to purchase directly from Dahl is MUCH higher.
Hopefully we can get equal pricing one the 1 pc orders from you, that Dahl
only gives to the volume customers like AMERITRON, QRO, ALPHA, ETC. It would
be nice.

Had Dahl quote me on iron once for an am transmitter, think it was for a
pair of 813's modulating a pair of 813's. His iron quote was like $2,500 for
all the pieces, That was the end of that project!!

Sincerely,

KC4MNE

-----Original Message----- From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of craxd Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 11:49 PM To: gdaught6@stanford.edu; amps@contesting.com Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer shop update

George,

I was actually going to make them heavier than that. The screen windings
were going to be rated at 250 mA, the bias at 125 mA, the 12 V at 2
amperes, and the 6 V winding at 10 amperes. Most all the supplies will
have losses and actually require more current than the DC output. These
will be able to run full wave, half wave, and doubler circuits with room
to spare, running at CCS. I wanted to do this to keep the heat way down
to where they could be mounted in chassis that wasn't ventilated well. I
figured a rough price of $100.64 each with a watt rating of 205 watts to
compare to Dahls pricing of similar. These use an EI 1-5/8" laminate
1-1/2" in depth. The physical size of the core is 5-1/4" wide x 4-3/8"
high x 1-1/2" deep, with the steel weighing 8 pounds. The estimated
finished weight will be about 12 pounds. You can look up a similar
transformer at Dahls website weighing 12 pounds and 205 watts. Thanks
for the interest, I should be up and running around December.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

gdaught6@stanford.edu wrote:

Hi Will,

By December, we should be winding as scheduled. I will first be
offering some screen/bias transformers with heater and control
windings included. The screen will have taps for 315 Vac, 275 Vac, and
236 vac. That will give 445 Vdc, 389 Vdc, and 334 Vdc.

At how many mA? 100mA would be good.

They will have
a 90 Vac bias winding, 12 vac control winding, and 6 Vac heater
winding.

One Ampere on the 12v winding; and how many on the heater winding?
Heater for what?

If the price is right, I'd like one (or even two!)

I hope there's enough of a market to make it worth your while!  Good
luck, and keep us posted on the Amps reflector.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT

http://www.nod32.com

http://www.nod32.com