[Amps] Linearity metering

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Linearity metering
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:16:02 -0400

I noticed in the 1972/1973 ARRL handbooks that I have there is a 4-1000A amplifier project with a linearity metering circuit. Look for the SS-2000 project. This seems like an incredibly good idea, however I have never seen anything like this in any other amplifier except for something similar apparently in the ACOM 1000A (and presumably the 2000). It seems to me that the ability to tune for optimum linearity would be a "Good Thing"(tm) and the circuit design appeard to be simple to implement.

Was the original designer of this circuit blowing smoke or is this something worthwhile to add to a homebrew amp?