Re: [Amps] GI-46B Question

To: Bob Bruno - K2KI <k2ki@starc.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GI-46B Question
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:57:55 -0400
Bob the advertisement says the GI-46b is a variant on the GI-7b. But its interesting to read the description of the GI-6B, particularly the transfer capacitance (http://nd2x.net/gi6b.html). Lets compare transfer capacitance

GI-6B 0.25 pf wires from cathode to anode to make it oscillate
GI-7b 0.075 pf good to microwave frequencies
GI-46B 5.1 pf wow (http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/TransmittingPulseTubes/gi-46b.html)

So it look to me like they used the tube as a power oscillator in UHF/microwave application and include extra transfer capacitance to simplify the external cavity design.

I belive the statement that the tube is the last generation of small triode and it's the most advanced design. But its not suitable for UHF and probably not for VHF. But in an HF amplifier in Grounded Grid, it works fine.

jeff, wa1hco

Bob Bruno - K2KI wrote:

Are there any examples of an amp that has been built using the GI-46B tube. I
see a guy on eBay selling them rather cheap I think.
Anything that I should know about this tube that might steer me away from
getting one?

73, CUL

Bob Bruno - K2KI
k2ki@starc,org