RE : [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

To: "'R.Measures'" <r@somis.org>, "'Barry Kirkwood'" <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Subject: RE : [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:51:36 +0300

-----Message d'origine-----
De?: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com] De
la part de R.Measures
Envoyé?: mercredi 20 octobre 2004 16:34
À?: Barry Kirkwood
Cc?: Rob Atkinson, K5UJ; amps@contesting.com
Objet?: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

On Oct 19, 2004, at 11:44 AM, Barry Kirkwood wrote:

> Well, I manged to fry a "1500W "  commercially made ferrite balun with

> significantly less than 1500kW out, let alone 3kW plus.

The ferrite used in commercial HF baluns typically has a mfg.'s max
freq rating of 500KHz to 1MHz.  However, since balun mfg.'s usually
test their products at <5w, they have no idea that there could be a
problem.    My disillusionment with ferrite baluns began when I
discovered that my 7MHz signal had harmonics above 500MHz that were
strong enough to wipe out UHF line-of sight TV stations.

> Since then have lived in peace with my homebrew coax solenoid baluns.

Amen, Barry.  Beautiful baluns are like unto beautiful women.
Bad tongue ON

THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE AND RUN AWAY VERY QUICKLY.......

Bad tongue OFF

Jos on4kj