Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: "lncarman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:39:14 -0500
What happen to the good old days. Old timers engineered things to be dependable and long lasting.
Double the rating on all the components and it last 10 times longer. Some of the border-line legal limit
amps of today would fail miserably upon undetected increased SWR due to whatever the cause.
I worked for a military contractor for 10 years. The rigorous testing the units went though to pass QA
was unbelievable. If you were a pilot flying sorties in hostile territories,
wouldn't you feel more comfortable knowing your equipment is built to take the heat ( without question )?
I feel that way about my amps. Just because a ham buys an amp capable of 5 kw doesn't mean he will
exceed legal limit. You're not breaking the law by owning excessive amps, are you?
I have two homebrew amps ( 3cpx5000a7, 3cx3000a7 ). I very much enjoyed building them. I seldom
exceed 1 kw when I use them, which is seldom. Call it an overkill if you like, but when I fire them up I
don't worry about how hot the tubes are getting at 1.5 kw, or even if I make a terrible mistake of
not retuning after switching bands ( no ham has ever done that, have they? ).

I like the195mph Ferrari analogy.

My two cents worth.

Larry N5BIP PS: Why worry about the FCC if you're operating legally.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vic Rosenthal" <vic@rakefet.com>