Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:41:32 -0700

On Oct 20, 2004, at 8:38 AM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

R.Measures wrote:

I bought this 195mph Ferrari because it has no heating problems at 65mph.

That's not a good analogy, Rich. You bought the Ferrari because it can accelerate faster in the 0-85 MPH range, because it handles well, etc.

And it's easier to park than a Daimler-Chrysler Unimog.

There are NO similar advantages to having 5KW plate dissipation available in an amateur amplifier that is used at 1.5 KW output, if the tubes are cooled properly.

Actually, there is a possible advantage, but I don't know of anyone actually doing it: if you have an exciter that has a class-A mode for low IMD, you could run the amp class-A as well, for super clean SSB.

In Class A, on a hot day, there would be an advantage. The problem with Class A is finding a pristine-clean transceiver with which to drive it. cheerz, Vic

-- 73, Vic, K2VCO Fresno CA http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org