Re: [Amps] Blowing off steam

To: w9ge <finger@goeaston.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Blowing off steam
From: Rob & Terri Sherwood <rob@sherweng.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:57:46 -0600
NC0B wrote:
I don't see that there is a problem on eBay. I have a 282 rating, which means my wife and I have bought or sold at least that many items. I have been cheated only once for $15.00 from a local guy who never sent me a copy of WordPerfect, and he would not let me pick it up at his location. Just like with John, I decide what an items is worth to me, and I either win or loose. On the selling side, no one has ever been unhappy or cheated me. I have even had a ham ship me an IC-781 before he even got my check. Similarly, I was sent an eBay HP 8662A signal generator for my inspection, after which I sent the $3000. Now these are unusual examples, but they happened. If some one has a program or contracts with a bidding service, so what. If they are willing to get into a bidding war, that is their risk.

w9ge wrote:

John W0UN has nailed this one. The "proxy bid" of e-bay allows you the bidder to only need to bid once, using your maximum price. . If no one else bids, then you get the item for lowest possible bid price (not your maximum!). As others bid, your minimum goes up to insure you are still the high bidder, until your maximum is reached. If someone wants to outpay you, you keep your money, or you can change your mind and increase your maximum bid amount while the clock is running. Bids are incremented upward by the amount stated, ie $1.00, $10.00 etc. Reserves etc. do change the rules somewhat, but they are not difficult to understand.

If you really really want something, then put a bid in with the HIGHEST amount you are willing to pay. Many folks will bid with less than a minute to go on the clock, just so they have a better chance of getting the item. Of course they must be willing to bid higher than your HIGHEST bid to do this. It is a guessing game of sorts. If they guess right and go above your maximum, then your maximum just was not good enough.

It happened to me recently on an Alpha 77...I put in my highest bid several days before auction end. I was "high bidder" throughout as price went up incrementally, and then with less than ten seconds to go I was beat out by someone else....he paid more than my highest bid. He got a good deal. I was not unhappy because I had decided what it was worth to me, and no more. I would like to know how high he was willing to go, but that is what is fun about auctions. You never really know. Result is I am still looking for a good Alpha 77.

Keep your eyes open as I am considering putting my Collins 204 H-1 up for auction. 0.1 watt in for 4 kw out, autotune to boot. A real monster.

73 bob de w9ge