Re: [Amps] Zero Crossing circuit

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Zero Crossing circuit
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:09:56 -0500
Dick,

I see it like this following example. Suppose there were two of the same model cars setting at a stop light. Both being the same year, and same amount of miles. Suppose a lil ol lady was driving car A and Dale Jr. was driving car B. When the lil ol lady in car A starts out from the light, she gradually steps on the gas, bringing the car up to speed. Then, Dale Jr. in car B, when the light changes, floors the gas, and brings the car up to speed. They run both these cars this way for some time, but bringing each up to the same speed each time. The only difference being the driving method (acceleration). Which car would fail first? I would imagine car B would with Dale Jr. driving it due to the stresses and strains induced by the sudden jolt of acceleration. To me, there would be no difference between this, a step start PSU and one without it. The only way car B could stand it is if it were made to be ran this way.

A better example would be in a hydraulic circuit. One where the pressure slowly comes up and one where the pressure suddenly appears. The one which suddenly appears causes hammering. Hammering in a hydraulic circuit causes seal leakage (same as electrical leakage), and eventually seal failure (a short in electrical terms). This is caused by the sudden impact on the seals over time, or a jolt to the circuit. The way to test this is merely to substitute pressure for voltage and flow for current. Matter of fact, hydraulic systems use the same formulas as in ohms law, just the terms are re-named.

Most transformers used in amateur amplifiers are wound for ICAS (Intermittent Commercial and Amateur Service) where the transformer is about 1/2 the size as one used in CCS (Continuous Commercial Service). Even though surge current can hurt a CCS transformer too, it is worse on one that is ICAS if it is tied into the same type load. About the only difference you'll see between the two PSU's in most is the transformer. The PSU's will most likely have the same rectifiers and capacitors or close to the same circuitry and the load resistance. That is about all I've ever noticed between the two in amateur service. This being one saying CCS and the other ICAS. To me, I would rather bring one up slower and save the PSU's life expectancy. This is just my opinion of course.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Hanson, Dick wrote:

Hi Will....

Not to be critical of all the nay-saying with regard to the
above.....'cause I'm not smart enough to argue the point
technically......but here are my limited observations from a
dxexpeditioning and contesting point of view.

1) All the arguments that use words like "would, might, perhaps, not too
healthy etc" are, theories. Heck, some parts of these theories may even
hold water.
2) I have owned one sort of Command amplifier or another now for over 12
years and have never experienced a failure of anything in the power
supply chain......equalizing resistors, Nichicon electrolytics, diodes
or power trans. Oh and yes, the Crydom zero-crossing relays have hung in
as well. I am not endorsing his products, but thus far, at least I've
been fortunate not to have had failures.
3) Because of number 2 (above), I have constructed seven or eight rather
hefty power supplies for home and contesting use. They all use the pair
of relay approach to being switched on. So far, no failures.

FWIW
73
Dick, K5AND

http://www.nod32.com