Re: [Amps] Tube testing?

To: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube testing?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:38:43 -0800

On Nov 24, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Gary Smith wrote:

In amp that uses 3cx800a7's, is there any way to determine if one of a pair (or more) has gone south other than by simply replacing it to "make sure?"

Gary -- A 5kV max high-pot tester and an ohm-meter will test for everything except peak emission.

What I did (and this may be wrong as all get-out) was take a Raytek laser thermometer and read the temp of the tube on the exposed plate area.

What I found is there was only a 7 degree F. difference between the two, 128 deg and 135 deg. Not very scientific but... at least I know there is something goin on inside that sealed envelope to indicate to me that the electrons are swapping places at a pretty good clip to generate lots or RF.

If there might be a better way other than pay many $$$.$$ to have them checked by the manufacturer, I would like to hear about that method.

73
Gary
WA6FGI

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org