[Amps] Relays

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Relays
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:12:07 -0500
This may be a little off tune for the AMPS reflector but I need help(people that know me have said that for years). I am converting an old Collins 20V-3 broadcast transmitter and I need a relay to do some power cutback switching. I happen to have 2 really nice heavy duty relays made by P & B but they have 24VDC coils and, since the Collins rig doesn't have anything close to 24V, I would have to use a separate power supply just for these relays. But then I noticed on the P & B data sheets that the coil resistance and current draw are the same for a 24VDC relay coil and a 120VAC relay coil. 288 ohms/84ma and 290 ohms/85ma respectively. Does this mean that I can apply 120VAC to my 24VDC relay coil? How can this be? This violates Ohms Law. I aint about to try this until I've checked with you Elmers.

Bob, W6TR