RE: [Amps] 8122 x 12

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] 8122 x 12
From: "Mike Clarson" <mclarson@rcc.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:37:07 -0500
Just some comments on the 8122:

This tube, and its conduction cooled version, the 8072, were designed to be
inexpensive tubes to compete with the 4CX250 series. They were mechanically
robust and suitable for Land Mobile use. The socket was also inexpensive
compared to 4cx250 sockets. At its peak of popularity in the late 70s, I
recall the 8072 selling new for a mere $20. Not bad for a 300 watt 500 MHz
tube! If I were building an amplifier using a dozen tubes, I would have
considered these. In HAM amplifiers, I believe the National (NCL-2000 ?)amp
used 8122s--Mike, WV2ZOW