[Amps] Re: AMPS Link coupling

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: AMPS Link coupling
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:07:23 -0800
G3RZP@aol.com wrote

The trouble with a direct ground on a balanced feedline is increased
risk of sudden discharge -- as in "big-bang".? To reduce this risk,
slowly bleed down the static charge with? a 1-10 M-ohm HV-type resistor
from each side of the feedline to ground.

That suggests that none of the antennas should be directly grounded DC wise.

?

Having seen lightning storms in Florida,?I?know you guys over there have a much bigger problem than we do, but floating or even bleeding through high values resistors seems to go against all the usual advice on lightning protection.

NASA's lightning attenuator at Cape Canaveral consists of an umbrella of elevated longwires connected to bleeder resistors.
?

The balanced L network is OK for most impedances, although not very high ones because it ends up with a high working Q.

There is no antenna matching network that has a lower Q than an L-network.

In an L network, the impedance ratio fixes the working Q. It is not attractive commercially, as ideally one has two ganged variable inductors, and a high voltage split stator capacitor - unless one is stepping down in impedance, when you need a split stator capacitor (ideally) of high capacitance on the input side. It does of course, have the advantage that the balun is working at low SWR. I suppose the ideal is a pi network arragement that can either a step up L or a step down L by setting the caps at to one end or the other.

True enough

Still needs two (ideally) variable inductors, ganged together. As they need to be pretty well isolated and not too close to a metal case, it starts getting expensive and big, and people don't like that!

I am about finished collecting parts for a balanced-L network antenna tuner to go with the current Class A amplifier project. This tuner will be neither expensive or big. The base will be urethane-varnished plywood.
Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org _______________________________________________